Muscle Energy Technique with Dr. Leon Chaitow – MET – Online
This is a Hands-On Seminars exclusive online course. Join Manual Therapy legend, world renowned author of over 60 books and teacher Dr. Leon Chaitow in this brand new exciting course!
Muscle Energy Technique may have been discussed by several healthcare providers and teachers in manual therapy, but never like the way explained by Dr Leon Chaitow. Dr Chaitow discusses the advances of this effective manual therapy technique and he provide your with his multiyear experience treating thousands of patients along with his treatment wisdom in a way that you can totally understand and put into practice immediately.
This is a valuable course for physiotherapists, manual therapists, physical therapists, osteopaths, osteopathic physicians and chiropractors, massage therapists, structural integration practitioners, Pilates and yoga teachers & therapists, Tai chi and Feldenkrais practitioners, athletic coaches and voice-coaches.
In this practical, evidence-informed, course the participants will acquire and/or enhance use of Muscle Energy Techniques (MET) for application to articular, fascial and myofascial dysfunction.
The course will explore the rationale and methodology for use different models of MET, in their role in managing a variety of forms of somatic dysfunction.
- Isometric (standard) MET
- Slow eccentric MET as used in post-trauma rehabilitation
- Pulsed (rhythmic) MET – applied to spinal and pelvic articulations
Video demonstrations include functional assessment methods for associated soft tissue as well as spinal and pelvic articular dysfunction, together with demonstration and explanations of MET application to these tissues and structures.
The course covers:
Theoretical overview regarding the evolution of soft issue dysfunction from an osteopathic/manual medicine perspective, including:
- Local adaptation syndromes
- Musculoskeletal stress response sequences
- Causes of soft tissue hypertonicity & dysfunction (pain/tone connection)
- Chain reactions & crossed syndromes
- Summary of main causes of fascial, myofascial and articular dysfunction – with special reference to the thoracolumbar fascia and pelvis
- Introduction to Muscle Energy Technique variations for treatment of joint restrictions, and soft tissue shortening/dysfunction (particularly related to the thorax & pelvis), including:
- MET: as applied in acute + chronic settings
- Pulsed MET – encouraging proprioceptive rehabilitation & value in spinal and pelvic mobilization
- Slow Eccentric Isotonic Stretching (SEIS) as an alternative to post-isometric stretching
The course covers identification, and MET treatment of, soft tissues involved in restrictions, of spinal and pelvic joints, using functional assessment methods – including : Upper trapezius, levator scapula, scalenes, SCM, pectoralis major & minor, psoas, QL, piriformis, hip adductors, TFL, quadriceps, hamstrings, erector spinae – and other muscles associated with thoracic & pelvic function
Cautions and contraindications are emphasized throughout the course
Leon Chaitow ND DO(retired)
Dr Chaitow is a graduate of the British College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) who has been in practice since 1960. He was until 2004 Senior Lecturer at the University of Westminster, and is now an Honorary Fellow of the University.
He is a member of the Scientific Committee for the 4th International Fascia Research Congress (Washington DC, September 2015)
He lectures widely in Europe, USA and Australia on osteopathic and naturopathic topics, to chiropractors, osteopaths, physiotherapists and massage therapists; is author of over 60 books (including Muscle Energy Techniques (4thedition) 2013, Churchill Livingstone).
He is Editor-in-Chief of the peer reviewed Journal of Bodywork & Movement Therapies.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 24 CEU Hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Self